This is a great quick and easy healthy summer salad for the days when you do not want to cook!
Summer is such an amazing time to grab fresh produce from local vendors, the grocery store or even your backyard!
I like to try my best to incorporate as much fresh produce I can into meals, especially in the summer when there are certain foods you can’t find in the winter!
Lately it has been pretty hot where I live so I have been making all the salads!
This Salad came out of a whim of throwing things from my fridge into a bowl and hoping it all tastes great!
It is also been a great way to get a lot of veggies in with kale, romaine lettuce, peppers, garlic, shallots and some fresh picked blackberries.
So basically what I am saying is that everyone needs this quick and healthy summer salad to fill there fresh fruit and veggie needs and get it all in during the summer!
What you will need to make the best quick and healthy summer salad
- source of protein – I like to cut and cook up some chicken thighs
- 1 cup of diced kale
- 1 cup of chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup of chopped up bell pepper
- handful of fresh fruit – I have been loving adding blackberries
- 1 thinly sliced shallot
- 1/2 or a whole avocado sliced up
- a sprinkle of feta cheese
- homemade balsamic dressing – olive oil, 1 piece of garlic and balsamic vinaigrette
Bam you now have an easy salad!
Ooh I should mention I also love to roast some chickpeas in the oven and sprinkle them all over once and while! It adds some awesome taste and texture!
Tips to make making this salad easier!
Cutting kale- I like to lay it flat and take the knife along the spine slowly dragging it along. This pulls the leafs off quickly without having to pull it all off one at a time! I then collect all of the leaves and chop them finely.
I find sometimes kale can be a bit hard in a salad if the leaves are to big so I will generally chop them into small bits!
Chopping the shallot- Shallots can be small which can make it tricky to cut! I like to us a large sharp knife so that I can make thin easy slices.
When cutting an avocado – take the side that you plan on using and make long slices from top to bottom. Then cross those lines horizontally with more knife cuts. Peel back the edge of the avocado skin and the pieces should pop up and make it easy to slide off into the salad.
- 1 cup of Chopped and Diced Kale
- 1 cup of Chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup of Diced Bell Pepper
- 1 Shallot Finely Sliced
- Handful of Fresh Fruit
- 1/2 OR 1 Sliced Avocado
- Sprinkle of Feta Cheese
- Homemade Balsamic Dressing
- Protein - Optional
- Roasted Chickpeas - Optional
- Cook up your Protien if you are using any
- Wash and Chop up your veggies
- Wash up your fruit
- Throw all ingredients in a bowl
- Add your Homemade Balsamic Dressing
- Mix it up and start eating!
You can add other veggies like roasted beets or tomatos! And honestly any type of fresh summer fruit would be just wonderful mixed in!
I would love to hear in the comments what you added to this salad that you enjoyed!
What is one meal you like to make in the summer?
Other Posts you might enjoy
Thank you so much for stopping by! I hope you have wonderful rest of your week!